Monday, May 4, 2009

May Day Response

In a previous life as a grassroots activist I used to feel strongly about May Day - the international day of resistance to capitalist domination. I was caught up in the feelings about it, the struggle over it, the united workers and the greedy bosses, brave anarchists and the oppressive state, the collusion of the liberals, the poignancy of today's ignorance, etc.

Today I still feel all that, but less strongly. Today I feel more descriptive about May Day, more like, "May Day has been hidden - what does that reveal?" Before I felt completely outraged by the fact that May 1 is now officially "Law and Loyalty Day" (since Eisenhower) in the U.S. Now I see the outrageousness of that but also how that fits the bigger pattern of bumbling and blatant oppression structures in the U.S. and that even resistance to May Day being "Law Day" tends to exhibit a certain cartoonishness that I also see as also typical of the American mentality.

No comments: